mariposa monarca

jueves, 17 de enero de 2008

What’s History?

I remember when I was about eleven years old one day I asked the librarian for a book about a place called Dachau. She looked at her colleague, then she looked at me, and took me to a section of the town library where I had not been before. I do not remember which book she gave me that day. It was one of a number of testimonies about what my people had done to other people during a time when I had not been born. Yet, I knew that I was part of these events, and I needed to know how people of my family and people of my town had participated, how much they had known at the time and how much they knew. In tenth grade this period of history was dealt with in school, and I suppose around that time I was told “You shall never forget.” I learned the facts, and I learned to feel guilty about what had happened. Years later a friend invited me to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. That day, I understood that this memory is best kept alive in the context of responsibility, free of guilt.
I am now beginning to discover the history of the people of my new environment. Every license plate in town tells me “I remember”. Remember what? I started to read, to visit museums, and I am beginning to discover the past, as well as how this particular past and its interpretation impact the society here. It is a history of conquest, of uprising, of a quiet revolution. For me, part of my integration into this society depends on how I can relate to this past, and which interpretation I can come up with.


Namen erinnern
Vielleicht liegt es daran, dass die ersten Siedler diese Region „Neu-Frankreich” genannt haben. Der Wille, die Erinnerung an vergangene Zeiten wach halten zu wollen, ist an vielen Orten spürbar. Eine Strategie ist es, Orte nach Menschen zu benennen, die hier einmal gelebt haben. Wir wohnen an der „Abraham-Ebene“. 1759 war das das Weideland von – Abraham Martin. Er war mit dem ersten Bauern der Kolonie, Luis Hébert, auf demselben Schiff aus Frankreich herüber gekommen. Luis Hébert baute den ersten Weizen an, und Abraham Martin, genannt „der Schotte“, arbeitete als Fischer und Lotse auf dem Fluss, ließ aber auf besagter Ebene über dem Kliff seine Tiere weiden. Der Name „Abraham“ ist bis heute mit diesem Ort verbunden. Nachdem die schicksalshafte Schlacht dort geschlagen worden war, baute man dort ein Observatorium, spielte Golf, und beschloss 1906 einen Park dort zu eröffnen. Heute spielt Football, fährt Ski, hört Musik, geht spazieren und genießt die Luft und die Aussicht über den Fluss. Der Park, unter Verwaltung der kanadischen Bundesregierung, feiert dieses Jahr sein hundertstes Jubiläum.

No hay comentarios.: