mariposa monarca

martes, 28 de abril de 2009

Influenced by Influenza
Everything is quiet. You could almost think a long weekend is under way, but the calendar tells me that this is Tuesday. The course I was taking was interrupted yesterday, and, except for the supermarket, there is really nowhere I could go. The university is closed, as are schools, movie theaters, museums, and restaurants. My dentist called to cancel my appointment this week. They are talking about closing down public transportation. It feels as if the city holds its breath. I have no way of knowing if any of my neighbors are sick, nor how many people are hospitalized. Was this what it was like when an epidemic broke out in the middle ages? Yes and no. I have access to updated information at home. I can get work done without going anywhere. I can even talk to friends and family and reassure them that everything here is fine. This makes the uncertainty easier to bear. The first question that comes to mind is: Will this be over by May 6? The virus has only one intention: to infect as many living beings as possible. My contribution to ending this is: I stay at home, and I do not take any unnecessary risks.

No hay comentarios.: